On January 22, 2016, I had the pleasure to present to the Massachusetts Health Information Management Association’s Winter Meeting, to discuss “Compliance Beyond HIPAA.” The presentation slides from the program are available here, and reflect discussion of:
- recent HHS OCR guidance on “Individuals’ Right under HIPAA to Access their Health Information 45 CFR §164.524”
- a new HHS OCR FAQ on EHR incentives and their interaction with HIPAA;
- amendment of the HIPAA Privacy Rule to address release of mental health information for firearm background checks;
- charges for copying of records (especially involving attorneys);
- a new HHS OIG form used to request health information; and
- new breach class action developments in Massachusetts, in a case (Walker v. Boston Medical Center) that denied a motion to dismiss even when the plaintiffs could show no harm.